Friday, 14 May 2010

Some Nice Photos Using The FXCamera App On My HTC Desire

View Towards Gosport Harbour Marina Lightship

FxCam_1273859851777

Portsmouth Harbour

View From Pier Towards Holy Trinity Church, Gosport

The above shots were all taken using the FXCamera app (free in the Android Marketplace) on my HTC Desire Google Android Smartphone. I used the Toy Camera setting, with high-contrast mono and a soft vignette.

Although the photographs look ok on the web, the main problem with FXCamera (and all the photography apps I've used so far) is that if you apply any effects to your images, the quality is substantially reduced, in terms of image size and clarity.

The only way to get full-resolution shots out of an Android Smart-Phone is to use the built-in camera, and I guess I could just edit those images in Photoshop on my PC, but I want a solution where I can do everything in-camera. Maybe someone could point me towards an app that could do that?

Thanks, Rob.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to install this and have a go! Kept meaning to investigate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Yes, it's a great (free!) app - hopefully we'll see better resolution soon.

    Thanks, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little app, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really liking the Vignette camera app. You can take full resolution pictures and there's a lot of nice effects. It's not free, but at £2.99 it's not bad. I just have to remember to stop putting my fingers in front of the lens, I keep forgetting it's so close to the edge of the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,

    I'll have to give it a go!

    Cheers, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. theres an iphone app called camerabag im really hoping they port to android. the big problem with fx camera in my opinion is not being able to change the effects post shot. id like to take a photo with the stock camera, then add the effects "toy" "vignetting" etc afterwards.

    ReplyDelete